Assemble the Starting Motor
|Required Tools    |
|Tool    ||Part Number    ||Description    ||Quantity    |
|A    ||1P-1855    ||Retaining Ring Pliers    ||1    |
|B    ||1P-0510    ||Driver Gp    ||1    |
- Put SAE 20W oil on all bushings, seals and oil wicks.
- Put field winding coil (29) and pole shoes (30) in position in the starting motor housing. Put 9s-3263 Thread Lock Compound on the threads of screws (31). Tighten to a torque of 20.3 ± 2.3 N·m (179.7 ± 20.4 lb in).
- Install bushing (27) and seal (28) into the shift lever housing. Use tool group (B) .
- Put the O-ring on the shift lever housing (22) .
- Install the seals on pin (26). Hold shift lever (24) in shift lever housing (22) and install pin (19) through the housing and lever (24). Install ring (23) with tool (A) .
- Put shift lever housing (22) in position on the starting motor housing. Install bolts (25) and tighten bolts (25) to a torque of 18.9 ± 2.6 N·m (167.3 ± 23.0 lb in).
- Put 5P-0960 Molybdenum Grease on the armature bushing areas. Do not put grease on the armature core or the commutator. Install washer (21) on armature (18). Put armature (18) into the starting motor housing. Hold pinion drive (20) in the shift lever fork and insert armature (18) through the shift housing and pinion drive.
Note: The pinion drive that is on the 41-MT starting motor is not same pinion drive that is shown. The pinion drive is similar to a 42-MT starting motor. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Starting Motor - Assemble".
- Put retainer (17) on armature shaft (18). Install ring (19) into the groove and force retainer (17) over ring (19) in order to lock the ring in position.
- Install bushing (16) into the pinion drive housing with tool group (B) .
- Put pinion drive housing (14) in position on shift lever housing (22). Install bolts (15) and tighten the bolts to a torque of 23.7 ± 6.1 N·m (209.8 ± 54.0 lb in).
- Install brushes (11) on brush holder (12). Tighten the screws to a torque of 2.9 ± 1.0 N·m (25.7 ± 8.9 lb in).
- Put the brush holder in position on the starting motor housing. Connect three leads (10). Tighten the screws to a torque of 2.9 ± 1.0 N·m (25.7 ± 8.9 lb in). Push the brushes against the commutator so the brush springs are on top of the brushes.
- Install bushing (10) into rear of the housing with tool group (B) .
- Install the O-ring seal on the back of the starting motor housing. Put washer (9) on the back of the armature. Put rear housing (6) in position on the starting motor housing. Install bolts (7) and tighten the bolts to a torque of 5.7 ± 1.1 N·m (50.4 ± 9.7 lb in).
- Put the O-ring seal on the shift lever housing. Put solenoid (1) in position on the shift housing. Make sure that the end of the plunger is inserted into the shift lever.
- Install the three bolts and tighten the bolts to a torque of 14.1 N·m (124.8 lb in) to 21.5 N·m (190.3 lb in).
- Connect motor terminal "MTR" (3) to the starter motor housing. Hold the terminal with a T40 TORX wrench. Tighten the nut on the solenoid motor terminal to a torque of 14.7 ± 3.4 N·m (130.1 ± 30.1 lb in). Tighten the motor terminal bolt to 9.6 ± 1.1 N·m (85.0 ± 9.7 lb in).
- Connect the shunt wire assembly (4) to the solenoid (1) and to the starting motor. Tighten the nuts for the shunt wire assembly to a torque of 2.6 ± 0.8 N·m (23.0 ± 7.1 lb in).
- Install the nut (6) for the plunger finger tight. The plunger must be adjusted for the correct pinion clearance.
- Check pinion clearance. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Pinion Clearance Adjustment" for the proper adjustment procedure.
- Install plug (5) and seal to the shift lever housing.
End By: Install the starting motor.