|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
|A||456-7967||Piston ring compressor||1|
- Remove cylinder head.
- Remove oil pan.
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Discard all used Connecting Rod fasteners.
- Remove bolts (1) and connecting rod cap (2).
Illustration 2 g06015587
- Carefully push connecting rod (3) and the piston into the cylinder bore until they are clear of the crankshaft and out of the cylinder block.
Note: The connecting rod and the connecting rod cap should have an etched Number (X) on the side. The number on the connecting rod and the connecting rod cap must match. Make a temporary mark on the connecting rod and the connecting rod cap to identify the cylinder number.
Illustration 3 g06015618
- Remove connecting rod bearings (4).
- Repeat Step 1 through Step 3 for remaining pistons and connecting rods.
- Install the connecting rods and the pistons in the reverse order of removal.
Note: Ensure that the piston and the connecting rod assembly are installed in the correct cylinder.
- The mark (5A) on the connecting rod must align with the fuel pump. Mark (1A) on the piston must align with the flywheel.
- Lubricate connecting rod bearings with clean engine oil.
Note: Install the bearing shells for the connecting rods dry when clearance checks are performed. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Bearing Clearance - Check" for the correct procedure. Apply clean engine oil to the bearing shells for the connecting rods during final assembly.
- Install connecting rod bearings (4) with locating tabs correctly seated into slots.
Illustration 5 g06015708
- Use Tooling (A) to install the piston and connecting rod assembly.
Note: Apply clean engine oil to the cylinder bore, to the piston rings and to the outer surface of the piston
- Install new bolts (1) to the connecting rod (3). Apply clean engine oil to the threads of bolts (1) and tighten to a torque of
40 N·m to 45 N·m (30 lb ft to 33 lb ft).
Note: Ensure that the installed connecting rod assembly has side play. Rotate the crankshaft to ensure that there is no binding.
Illustration 4 g02840445