Conditions Which Generate This Code:
Schematic of the solenoid valve (No. 4) (speed 1)
This diagnostic code is associated with the solenoid valve (No. 4) (speed 1). The FMI 05 diagnostic code means that an open exists in the circuit for the solenoid.
The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:
- The energize circuit of the solenoid is open.
- The return circuit of the solenoid is open.
- The solenoid has failed.
- The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.
Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code has been corrected. Ensure that the diagnostic code of CID 1404 FMI 05 is active before performing this procedure.
Note: Use the 146-4080 Digital Multimeter for the measurements in this procedure.
The transmission will be placed in the Neutral gear until the diagnostic has been corrected.
Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.
- Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position. Do not start the engine.
- Disconnect the solenoid with the active diagnostic code from the machine harness.
- At the machine harness connector for the solenoid, place a jumper wire from contact 1 (wire 751-GN) to contact 2 (wire 975-WH).
- Observe the status of the CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code.
The CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code remains active.
- YES - The diagnostic code remains active. The jumper wire does not affect the diagnostic code. Proceed to Test Step 2.
- NO - The diagnostic is no longer active. The solenoid has failed.
Repair: The solenoid has failed. Repeat this Test Step "CHECK THE SOLENOID" in order to verify the solenoid failure. Replace the solenoid. Verify that the new solenoid corrects the problem.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE HARNESS FOR AN OPEN.
- Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.
- Disconnect the machine harness connector(s) from the ECM.
- The jumper wire that was installed in the previous Test Step remains in place.
- At the machine harness connector, measure the resistance from signal contact J2-5 (wire 751-GN) to contact J2-4 (wire 975-WH).
The resistance is less than 5 ohms.
- OK - The resistance is less than 5 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.
- NOT OK - The resistance is greater than 5 ohms. The resistance measurement is not correct. There is an open circuit in the machine harness.
Repair: The open is in wire 751-GN or in wire 975-WH of the machine harness. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS.
- Inspect the contacts of the harness connectors and clean the harness connectors.
- Reconnect all harness connectors.
- Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.
- Operate the machine.
- Check the status of the CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code.
The CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code is active.
- YES - The CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected. The ECM may have failed.
Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the ECM. See Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
- NO - The CID 1404 FMI 05 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time.
Repair: The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.