Conditions Which Generate This Code:
Note: The ECM connections for the generator solenoid have changed for machines in the following serial number ranges: BDR2001-UP, BDM2001-UP, BDX2001-UP, BCZ2001-UP, BDK2001-UP, BDY2001-UP,, BEB2001-UP, H2A1-UP, H2B1-UP, H2C1-UP, H2D1-UP, H2E1-UP, H2F1-UP and H2G1-UP. The connections for these machines and the other machines that are covered by this manual are illustrated below.
Generator valve solenoid ECM connections for machines in the following serial number ranges: BDR1-2000, BDM1-2000, BDX1-2000, BCZ1-2000, BDK1-2000, BDY1-2000 and BEB1-2000.
Generator valve solenoid ECM connections for machines in the following serial number ranges: BDR2001-UP, BDM2001-UP, BDX2001-UP, BCZ2001-UP, BDK2001-UP, BDY2001-UP,, BEB2001-UP, H2A1-UP, H2B1-UP, H2C1-UP, H2D1-UP, H2E1-UP, H2F1-UP and H2G1-UP
This diagnostic code is associated with the Solenoid valve (generator drive). The FMI 06 means that the machine ECM has determined that the current of the solenoid is above normal.
The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed:
- The energize circuit of the solenoid is shorted to ground.
- The solenoid has failed.
- The machine ECM has failed. This is unlikely.
The alert indicator on the Monitor will illuminate.
When this diagnostic code is active, the machine ECM will be unable to control the solenoid. The solenoid will be constantly de-energized, and the generator will be off.
Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code has been corrected. Ensure that the diagnostic code of CID 1621 FMI 06 is active before performing this procedure.
Note: Use the 146-4080 Digital Multimeter for the measurements in this procedure.
Test Step 1. CHECK THE SOLENOID.
- Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position. Do not start the engine.
- Observe the status of the diagnostic code.
- Disconnect the solenoid with the active diagnostic code from the machine harness.
CID 1621 FMI 06 changes to CID 1621 FMI 05 when the solenoid is disconnected.
- YES - CID 1621 FMI 06 changes to CID 1621 FMI 05 when the solenoid is disconnected. The circuit is correct.
Repair: The solenoid has failed. Repeat this test "CHECK THE SOLENOID" in order to verify the solenoid failure. Replace the solenoid.
- NO - CID 1621 FMI 06 remains active. Proceed to Test Step 2.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE ENERGIZE CIRCUIT OF THE SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND.
- Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.
- The solenoid remains disconnected from the machine harness.
- Disconnect the machine harness connector(s) from the machine ECM.
- At the machine harness connector, measure the resistance from the signal contact J2-25 or J2-55 depending on your machine configuration (wire E984-BU) to all ground contacts on connectors J1 and J2. The ground contacts on connector J2 are J2-2, J2-12, J2-13, J2-22, J2-36, J2-37, J2-46, J2-49, J2-52, J2-56, J2-59 and J2-69. The ground contact on connector J1 is J1-9.
Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms.
- OK - Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms. The machine harness is correct. Proceed to Test Step 3.
- NOT OK - Each resistance measurement is not greater than 5000 ohms. There is a short in the machine harness. The short is between wire E984-BU and the circuit with the low resistance measurement.
Repair: Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
Test Step 3. CHECK IF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE REMAINS.
- Inspect the harness connectors and clean the contacts of the harness connectors.
- Reconnect all harness connectors.
- Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.
- Operate the machine.
- Check the status of the CID 1621 FMI 06.
The CID 1621 FMI 06 is active.
- YES - The CID 1621 FMI 06 is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected. The machine ECM may have failed.
Repair: It is unlikely that the machine ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, replace the machine ECM. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".
- NO - The CID 1621 FMI 06 is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time.
Repair: The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor electrical connection or a short at one of the harness connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal machine operation.