Connections for the Communication Adapter III and Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat ET) Service Tool.|
The components that are needed to use the Communication Adapter III and Cat ET are:
(2) 317-7484 Communication Adapter Gp
(3) 457-6114 CA3 Ethernet FLASH Cable
(4) Current version of Cat ET program software and an IBM-compatible personal computer
Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat ET) Service Tool is a software program that is used to access data. The service technician can use Cat ET to perform maintenance on the machine. Some of the options that are available with Cat ET are listed below:
- View the active and logged diagnostic codes and the active and logged event codes. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Determining Diagnostic Trouble Codes".
- View the status of parameters.
- Perform calibrations of machine systems.
- Use the "WinFlash" program to Flash the ECM. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Module - Flash Program".
- Print reports.
The following list contains some of the diagnostic and programming functions that are performed by the service tools.
- The failures of the ECM system are displayed.
- The status of most of the inputs and outputs are displayed.
- The settings for the ECM are displayed.
- The status of the input and output parameters are displayed in real time.
- The clock hour of the internal diagnostic clock is displayed.
- The number of occurrences and the clock hour of the first and last occurrence are displayed for each logged diagnostic code.
- The description for each logged event and each active event is displayed.
- The description for each logged and active diagnostic is displayed.
- New FLASH software is loaded.
Typical Cat® Electronic Technician (Cat ET) Service Tool screen for logged diagnostic codes.|
An indicator for logged events is provided. The indicator allows the service technician to track event codes that are intermittent. The data for the logged event will include the following information:
- An event identifier (EID)
- A text description of the problem
- The number of occurrences of the problem
- A time stamp for the first occurrence of the problem
- A time stamp for the last occurrence of the problem
Refer to Troubleshooting, "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" for the list of diagnostic codes for the ECM.
The Status groups are lists of machine parameters that are shown in real time.
Typical Cat ET status screen|
The Graphical Display is located in the center of the dash panel.
Refer to System Operation, "Display Module" for details.