|"Gear Pump (Pilot) - Test"|
|Machine Settings||Pilot Relief Pressure||Engine Speed|
||Engine speed dial "10"
AEC switch OFF
|Pump Flow Test|
|Oil Temperature C° (F°)|
|Engine Speed (rpm)|
|Flow Measured liter/min (US gpm)|
|Flow Corrected liter/min (US gpm)|
|Specification for Pump Flow liter/min (US gpm)||New||
Note: Specifications for flow rates are based on an engine speed of 1500 rpm. To get more accurate test results, measured flow should be corrected with the following calculation.
|Corrected flow||=||Measured flow x 1500 rpm|
The pilot pump is a gear pump that supplies oil flow to the pilot system. The pilot pump is located inside the main pump compartment and mounted externally to the main pump. This test is used to measure pump flow at the pilot pump.
Tooling (A) 198-4240 Digital Pressure Indicator Gp|
Tooling group (D)|
|A||198-4240||Digital Pressure Indicator Gp|
|D5||122-6870||Bulk Hydraulic Hose||3 ft|
Reference: Refer to Tool Operating Manual, NEHS1087 for operating instructions for the 348-5430 Multi-Tool Gp.
Note: Use Software License Card, NETG5049 with part number 348-5430 Multi-Tool Gp.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Note: Set the pilot relief valve to the specification. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Relief Valve (Pilot) - Test and Adjust".
- Position the machine on level ground.
- Stop the engine.
- Release the pressure in the hydraulic system. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "System Pressure - Release".
- Attach 311-1362 Vacuum Cap onto the hydraulic tank. Attach an air supply hose onto the assembly. Apply
276 to 414 kPa (40 to 60 psi). This procedure will pull a vacuum on the hydraulic system.Show/hide table Illustration 4 g02709183 Flow meter tool layout
( 1) Pilot pump
(4) Pilot filter
- Install the following tools in accordance with the flow meter tool layout. Refer to Illustration 4.
- Disconnect hose (3) from connector (2).
- Connect flow meter assembly (D) between connector (2) and hose (3).
Note: Correct orientation of the flow meter is necessary. The oil flows from pilot pump (1) to pilot filter (4).
- Remove 311-1362 Vacuum Cap.
- Install tooling (C) on the engine to monitor engine speed.
- Start the engine.
- Increase the hydraulic oil temperature to
55° ± 5°C (131° ± 9°F).
- Place the machine controls at the following settings: engine speed dial "10" and AEC switch OFF. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Engine Performance - Test (Engine Speed)" for engine rpm settings.
- Check the flow of oil through the flow meter. Refer to Table 1.