Mixing Extended Life Coolant (ELC) with other products reduces the effectiveness of the coolant and shortens coolant life. Use only AVSpare products or commercial products that have passed the AVSpare EC-1 specifications for premixed or concentrate coolants. Use only AVSpare Extender with AVSpare ELC. Failure to follow these recommendations could result in the damage to cooling systems components.
If ELC cooling system contamination occurs, refer to Special Publication, SEBU6250, "Cat Extended Life Coolant (ELC)".
This machine was factory filled with Extended Life Coolant.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "AVSpare Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on AVSpare products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Open the access cover (3) for the cooling system pressure cap (4). The access cover for the cooling system pressure cap is located on top of the machine above the left rear access door. Remove bolt (1) and loosen bolt (2). Slide the access cover open.
- Slowly loosen the cooling system pressure cap (4) in order to release pressure. Remove the cooling system pressure cap.
- Open the left rear access panel by removing the bolts that secure the panel to the machine.
Illustration 2 g01108488
- Remove the access cover that is under the radiator.
Note: Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "General Hazard Information" for information that pertains to containing fluid spillage.
- Open the drain valve that is on the bottom of the radiator. Allow the coolant to drain into a suitable container.
Note: Dispose of drained fluids according to local regulations.
- Flush the cooling system with clean water until the draining water is clean.
- Close the drain valve.
- Add the Extended Life Coolant. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Capacities (Refill)".
- Start the engine. Operate the engine without the cooling system pressure cap until the water temperature regulator opens and the coolant level stabilizes.
- Maintain the coolant level within
13 mm (0.5 inch)of the bottom of the filler pipe.
- Check the gasket of the cooling system pressure cap. If the gasket is damaged, replace the pressure cap.
- Install the cooling system pressure cap and close the access cover for the cooling system pressure cap. Install the bolts for the access cover.
- Stop the engine.
- Open the left middle access door.
Illustration 3 g02138759 Coolant reservoir
- Check the coolant reservoir. Maintain the coolant level between the "FULL" mark (A) and the "LOW" mark (B).
- If additional coolant is necessary, remove the reservoir cap on top of the coolant reservoir and add the appropriate coolant solution.
- Install the reservoir cap.
- Close the left middle access door.
- Close the left rear access panel and install the bolts for the left rear access panel.
- Install the access cover that is under the radiator.