Personal injury or death may result from failure to adhere to the following procedures.
Fuel leaked or spilled onto hot surfaces or electrical components can cause a fire.
Clean up all leaked or spilled fuel. Do not smoke while working on the fuel system.
Turn the disconnect switch OFF or disconnect the battery when changing fuel filters.
Do not fill the fuel filters with fuel before installing the fuel filters. The fuel will not be filtered and could be contaminated. Contaminated fuel will cause accelerated wear to fuel system parts.
- Open the right front access door.
Illustration 1 g00807752 (1) Water separator element
(3) Drain valve
- Turn drain valve (3) counterclockwise in order to open. The drain valve is located on the bottom of the water separator.
Note: Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "General Hazard Information" that pertains to containing fluid spillage.
- Drain the water and sediment into a suitable container.
Note: Dispose of drained fluids and used filters according to local regulations.
- Close drain valve (3).
- Hold the bottom of the water separator element (1) while you loosen bowl (2).
- Remove bowl (2).
- Remove water separator element (1). Discard water separator element (1).
Note: The water separator element is a cartridge type filter. The filter cannot be reused.
- Clean the inside surface of the filter head and of bowl (2).
- Inspect the O-ring on bowl (2). Also inspect the seal on the filter head. Replace these seals if the seals are worn or damaged.
- Lubricate the seal of the new element with clean diesel fuel.
- Install the new water separator element. Tighten the water separator element by hand until the seal contacts the filter base. Additionally tighten the water separator element by 1/3 to 1/2 turn onto filter base.
- Install bowl (2).
- Close the access door.