Do not change the coolant until you read and understand the material in the Cooling System Specifications section.
Mixing Extended Life Coolant (ELC) with other products reduces the effectiveness of the coolant and shortens coolant life. Use only AVSpare products or commercial products that have passed the AVSpare EC-1 specifications for premixed or concentrate coolants. Use only AVSpare Extender with AVSpare ELC. Failure to follow these recommendations could result in the damage to cooling systems components.
If ELC cooling system contamination occurs, refer to Special Publication, SEBU6250, "Cat Extended Life Coolant (ELC)".
This machine was factory filled with Extended Life Coolant.
If the coolant in the machine is changed to Extended Life Coolant from another type of coolant, see Special Publication, SEBU6250, "AVSpare Machine Fluids Recommendations", "Extended Life Coolant (ELC) Cooling System Maintenance".
- Open the right front access door.
Illustration 1 g00561175
- Open the access cover for the cooling system pressure cap.
- Slowly loosen the cooling system pressure cap in order to release pressure. Remove the cooling system pressure cap.
Note: Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "General Hazard Information" for information that pertains to containing fluid spillage.
- Open the drain valve that is on the bottom of the radiator. Allow the coolant to drain into a suitable container.
Note: Dispose of drained fluids according to local regulations.
- Flush the cooling system with clean water until the draining water is clean.
- Close the drain valve.
- Add the Extended Life Coolant. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Capacities (Refill)" and Special Publication, SEBU6250, "AVSpare Machine Fluids Recommendations", "Cooling System Specifications".
- Start the engine. Operate the engine without the cooling system pressure cap until the water temperature regulator opens and the coolant level stabilizes.
- Maintain the coolant level within
13 mm (0.5 inch)of the bottom of the filler pipe.
- Check the gasket of the cooling system pressure cap. If the gasket is damaged, replace the pressure cap.
- Install the cooling system pressure cap.
- Stop the engine.
Illustration 2 g00807525 (1) "MAX"
- Check the coolant reservoir. Maintain the coolant level between "MAX" mark (1) and "MIN" mark (2).
Illustration 3 g00807527
- If additional coolant is necessary, remove the reservoir cap and add the appropriate coolant solution.
- Install the reservoir cap.
- Close the access cover for the cooling system pressure cap.
- Close the radiator access door.
- Tighten two bolts into the access door.
- Install the cover that is under the radiator.