Engine Crankcase - Perkins Engine
Change Oil and Filter
Hot oil and components can cause personal injury. Do not allow hot oil or components to contact skin.
- 1. Remove the crankcase drain valve access cover located under the rear of the machine.
- 2. Open the engine access cover.
- 3. Remove the drain plug. Allow the oil to drain into a container.
- 4. Clean and install the drain plug after all of the oil has drained.
NOTE: Make sure the drain plug seal is not damaged. Replace if damaged.
- 5. Remove and discard the used crankcase oil filter element.
NOTE: Wipe the filter base with a clean cloth. Make sure all of the old filter seal is removed from the filter base.
- 6. Apply a thin coat of oil to the seal on the new filter element.
- 7. Install the filter by hand only until the filter contacts the base. Tighten 3/4 turn more.
There are rotation index marks on each new filter spaced 90° apart, to be used as a guide for tightening.
- 8. Install the access cover.
- 9. Remove the crankcase oil fill cap. Fill with oil. See "Refill Capacities."
- 10. Start and run the engine at LOW IDLE for a few minutes and check for leaks.
- 11. Remove the dipstick. Wipe with a clean cloth and reinstall.
- 12. Pull the dipstick out and always measure the oil with the dipstick to make certain the quantity of oil added is correct.
Maintain the oil level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
- 13. Clean and install the dipstick and the fill cap.
- 14. Close the cover.
Cooling System - Perkins Engine
Add Cooling System Conditioner
At operating temperature, the engine coolant is hot and under pressure.
Steam can cause personal injury.
Check the coolant level only after the engine has been stopped and the fill cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Remove the fill cap slowly to relieve pressure.
Cooling system conditioner contains alkali. Avoid contact with the skin and eyes to prevent personal injury.
Do not add conditioner monthly unless the engine has actually operated 250 service hours. Adding conditioner before 250 service hours will result in an excessive concentration of conditioner.
Always add conditioner to water. Never use plain water only.
Use a mixture of fill water, antifreeze and cooling system conditioner.
Do not use AVSpare cooling system conditioner with Dowtherm 209 Full-Fill coolant. Follow the instructions provided with the Dowtherm 209 Full-Fill coolant.
"Know Your Cooling System," Form SEBD0518, provides more detailed specifications.
- 1. Remove the radiator cap access cover above the engine.
- 2. Open the radiator cap slowly to relieve any pressure.
Cap location could be different depending on which machine you have.
- 3. Add .70 liters (1 1/2 pint) of AVSpare cooling system conditioner.
- 4. Add coolant if necessary to maintain the coolant level 15 mm (.62 inch) below the fill tube.
- 5. Install the cap and close the access cover.
Water Separator - Perkins Engine
Fuel leaked or spilled onto hot surfaces or electrical components can cause a fire.
Turn the start switch key OFF or disconnect the battery when changing fuel filters.
- 1. Remove the access cover located under the rear of the machine.
- 2. Loosen the drain valve to allow water and sediment to drain into a container.
If the engine fails to start or there is a loss of power, it may have to be drained.
- 3. Tighten the drain valve and install the access cover.
Belts - Alternator and Fan
Inspect and/or Adjust the Belts
Open the access doors to the engine.
- 1. Replace the belts if cracked, frayed or cut.
Replace the belts in sets, even if only one belt is damaged.
- 2. Measure the deflection of the belt. Apply approximately 110 N (25 lb) force midway between the drive pulley and the conditioning pulley.
Deflection should be 14 to 20 mm (9/16to 13/16 inch).
- 3. Adjust the belts if the deflection is not correct.
- 4. Loosen the mounting bolt on the component that has a loose belt.
- 5. Loosen the adjusting bolts.
- 6. Move the component to obtain the required belt deflection.
- 7. Tighten all of the bolts.
- 8. Measure the belt's deflection. If the deflection is not correct, repeat the adjustment procedure.