Be sure no one is working on or close to the machine before starting the engine or moving the machine.
This engine has an inlet manifold heater for cole weather starting. Do not use other types of starting aids such as ether. Such use could result in an explosion and personal injury.
Fasten the seat belt.
- 1. Pull the armrest up to disengage hydraulics.
- 2. Move the hydraulic controls to the HOLD position.
- 3. Release the directional travel pedals.
- 4. Move the governor control lever to the LOW IDLE position.
- 5. Turn the key to the START position.
- 6. Release the key after the engine starts.
If the engine does not start after 20 seconds of cranking, stop cranking. Allow two minutes for the starting motor to cool to avoid damage to starting motor.
For starting below - 18°C (0°F), use of optional cold weather starting aids is recommended. A coolant heater, fuel heater, jacket water heater or extra battery capacity may be required.
At temperatures below - 18°C (0°F), consult your AVSpare dealer, or refer to the "Cold Weather Recommendations Operation and Maintenance" Guide, Form SEBU5898, available from your AVSpare dealer.
Starting Aid - Heat Start (If Equipped)
Starting Aid-Heat Start - Turn to this position to allow the heat system to heat up. Cold weather could require activation of the heat start system.
Deutz Engine - The engine is ready to start, after the indicator light comes on.
Perkins Engine - The engine is ready to start approximately 20 seconds after turning to HEAT - START. This engine is not equipped with an indicator light.
Starting With Boost Cables
When boost starting machine, refer to the instructions that follow to properly start the machine.
When using external electrical source to start machine, turn key switch off and remove key before attaching booster cables.
This machine has a 24 Volt starting system. Use only equal voltage for boost starting. Use of welder or higher voltage will damage electrical system.
- 1. Release the directional travel pedals.
- 2. Raise the armrest to disengage the hydraulics.
- 3. Move all hydraulic controls to the HOLD position.
- 4. Turn the start key to the OFF position. Move the governor control lever all the way forward.
- 5. Raise the battery compartment access cover.
- 6. Lift the clamp protector out of the way. Fasten the positive (+) terminal to the booster and from the booster to the positive (+), red cable post on the machine to be started.
- 7. Fasten the negative (-) terminal to the booster and from the booster to the machine frame away from and below the battery of the machine to be started.
- 8. Start the engine.
- 9. After the engine starts, disconnect the negative (-) cable from the machine frame ground.
- 10. Disconnect the positive (+) terminal on the battery.
- 11. Disconnect the cable from the negative (-) terminal on the boost power source.
- 12. Disconnect the cable from the positive (+) terminal on the boost power source.
- 13. Close the access cover.